Things Every Gated Community Must Know Before Installing An Intercom System
The majority prefer living in gated communities because of the security features which is available from these communities. One most common security aspect available is a authentication of visitors via intercom before letting them into the community. If you have ever lived in a gated community, the chance as allowed people through the gates of your society, by validating their identity through an intercom would be high.
The אינטרקום לבית פרטי systems also referred to as PBX (Private branch exchange) is typically installed by builder and / or later fixed or installed by the community. There are certain aspects of the system that a community should be aware of before adding. However , before we dive into the details, let’s focus on the different intercom systems a gated community or builder commonly considers. In most cases a PBX, IP PBX or a Centrex system is deployed for intercom.
Understanding PBX and IP PBX?
Private Branch Exchange (PBX) is an internal cellular phone network that is generally used within a private community, including within a business organisation or within a gated community. Inside context of a gated community, residents use the facility to interact with fellow residents, facility offices, security guards etc and in addition they can make unlimited free calls within the community.
IP PBX is an advanced version of PBX. The most significant feature in addition to this version is the addition of VoIP (Voice over Online Protocol). With this, in addition to free internal calls, the community might also route external calls over the internet, which is cheaper than a frequent call. The pictorial example of the working of a PBX technique are given in the last section.
Centrex is also a type of a PBX. However the switching equipment will be installed at the central company and not at the residents/ customers location. Generally, the telephone business manages all the equipment and software that is required to put into practice a Centrex service.
Things to consider before deploying a PBX system.
1 . The cost of a installing a regular PBX process would be around:
g. exchange system): Rs 50, 000/ per piece for about 500 users.
Installment ( wiring and other components): Approx. 1 lakh
Routine maintenance: Approx. 100 INR per flat per month
The total fee for an apartment of about 500 flats would be approx. three or more to 3. 5 lakhs
3. If a problem that occurs together with the PBX system, the community will be left mediating between the telephone service company and the PBX vendor. The community will be left looking to meet ends in order to get the system working again.
5. Any given PBX can support only a set number of phones. Thus removing or adding phones from the existing system has to be huge problem. Also, if the community is expanding by just a large number, they might have to add another PBX system, which will again is a substantial additional cost.
5. Requires just once Fixed Cost and AMC ( Annual maintenance cost). As time goes by, the AMC cost would keep increasing soon after a certain period, would require complete replacement.
6. There would be no particular way to figure out if the line connected to the resident’s phone line is dead or is not responding.
6. ‘Moral Hazard Issue’, a situation where the resident may not handle the device since it is not his/hers, might be a point of concern. This might increase the AMC cost to management committee.
intercoms/ PBX systems used in gated communities?
Every house in the neighborhood has an intercom device at their home and one at the obtain and exit gates of the society. There is a specific computer allotted to every intercom, which would be used to call the actual device. The call is routed through an internal exchange. These intercoms are interconnected to increase the connectivity, communication in addition to security in the apartment. Whenever a visitor enters the checkpoint of the community, he/she tells the guard the house variety they want to visit and the guard dials the code with the intercom in that specific house. The guard then validates the visitor’s identity by asking the resident in the event he/she is expecting the visitor and based on the resident’s result the visitor is either let into the community or told in order to leave.
Drawbacks with this method of validation
1 . In case often the resident is not at home or is unable to take the intercom get in touch with due to some situation, the visitor’s entry or get away into the community is left for the guard to decide.
minimal payments There is no equipment portability with wired intercoms, since the system needs to be plugged in. Hence the resident would need to get away from whatever they would be doing at that moment and got to the intercoms to attend the call.
3. In case the wire is upset, due to stormy weather, electrical problems or utility power-cut, the device becomes invalid and the sole reason of installing an intercom systems fails.
4. Being an electronic device, the lifetime of the intercom equipment device would be around 3–4 years. Hence replacing the product is a recurring cost that has to be borne by the local community apart from the initial hardware and the installation costs.
5. Often the resident does not have the option of choosing the calls they want to take or avoid.
Additional Technical information about PBX
As per a manufacturing website, “The users of the PBX phone system can certainly communicate within their company or organization and the outside universe, using different communication channels like Voice over IP, ISDN or even analog. A PBX also allows you to have more phones in comparison with physical phone lines (PTSN) and allows free message or calls between users. ”